After spending time in Southern Puglia and then at a beautiful Masseria further north, we headed to a wonderful Airbnb just outside Ostuni to spend a week with some friends. This region was probably my favourite, with a number of very picturesque coastal towns and some other very unique villages that are well worth a visit and all generally within driving distance.
Towns worth mentioning:
- Ostuni – a lovely whitewashed inland city built high on a hill
- Grottaglie – the epicentre of ceramics, make sure to visit Ceramiche Nicola Fasano (and do the tour) and the Enza
Fasano shop right down the street (there were originally 6 brothers in Grottaglie that’s why there are so many different Fasano outposts)
- Locorotondo – a very pretty whitewashed town, a great place to get lost for a couple hours
- Fasano – another pretty historic town
- Alberobello – to see the Unesco Worl Heritage trulli houses
- Martina Franca – beautiful and reasonably large town
- Polignano a Mare – very picturesque clifftop town, a great place to visit or stay (but we didn’t visit that cliff restaurant, amazing scenery but terrible overpriced food!)
- Vieste – amazing coastal town with beautiful scenery
- Monopoli – again, on the coast and a great base with lots to explore
There are many more wonderful towns, so don’t just limit yourself to these ones!
It’s not difficult to find good food in Puglia, wherever you are! Speak to your hotel or host and they will quickly point you in the right direction. One thing I did love was going to a local farm / agriturismo for a very authentic home cooked meal, we did this at Masseria Il Frantoio and I can’t recommend it highly enough – a magical setting with heavenly food.
Some places to stay in the region that come highly recommended:
- Masseria Alchimia
- Masseria Spesseto
- Masseria Sottomasi
- Masseria Montenapoleone
- Masseria Cimino
- Borgo Egnazia
- Masseria San Domenico
- Masseria San Francesco
- Masseria Torremossa
- Masseria Genovese
- Masseria Fumarola Ostuni
- Leonardo Trulli Resort
- Masseria Ancella
- Sextantio le Grotte Della Civita
- Masseria Narducci
- Masseria Le Fabriche
- Locanda Don Ferrante
This was where our friends Alex and Tessa got engaged, and it was magical!